Saturday, January 05, 2008

GOP New Hampshire debate ... the "kitchen table" debate that showed me who to support....

Charlie Gibson of ABC News hosted tonight's Republican presidential debate held in New Hampshire. I liked this debate because it appeared in a more relaxed format -- all candidates were seated almost as if around a kitchen table -- and they were actually allowed to debate with one another without having a timer go off or thoughts stopped in mid-sentence. They responded and zinged each other, one and all. Mitt Romney was the center of zings from most of the others.

I was uncomfortable with Mitt Romney's health care stand. Ron Paul always rubs me the wrong way with his opposition to the war ... and tonight he called the United States "warmongers" and once again said it was because of our foreign policy that we were attacked on 9/11. The other candidates jumped on him about that and they were all strong homeland defense defenders.

John McCain attacked the pharmaceutical companies but Mitt Romney defended them by saying not to make them the "big, bad guys" because the invest billions to develop medications to better our lives. With that I completely agree.

There was back-and-forth debate with each defending his position. I was watching and listening closely because I have decided it is time to take a stand. Virginia most likely will come into play during this primary season ... our primary is February 12 ... and never one to sit on the sidelines, I watched the debate tonight to help make my final decision.

When the debate ended, the set of six Republican candidates was met on-stage by the Democrat candidates -- up next for their debate -- for what had to be one of the most "Twilight Zone" moments so far in this campaign as they all mingled together.

My decision has been finalized. I am supporting Fred Thompson. He was thoughtful, knowledgeable, big on defense which is my number one issue, and I liked his statesman-like way of responding to questions. He seemed to stay above the fray of barbs and jabs that broke out with some of the others. I agreed with just about all his positions and he proved to know what he was talking about when joining in with his point of view.

I had been leaning toward Fred but wanted to see one more debate to be sure of my stand. I had not said anything to my husband about my thoughts until after the debate when I said, "I'm going with Fred." To which he responded, "That's who I was most impressed with."

So it's decided. We're Fred Heads.

No comments: