Sunday, January 13, 2008

Randy Owens tells it like it is ... I love those country music boys

Randy Owens of the country singing group Alabama, in a recent interview, said something I totally agreed with. Paraphrasing him, he said:
"When you are taking money from the public, you should keep your political views to yourself. You are not Republican, you're not Democrat ... we're all Americans.

But one thing I feel strongly about is supporting our troops, and if you don't agree with that you can kiss my ass!"
In a 2006 Country Music Television interview, when Owens was asked about endorsing a local political candidate, he responded:
I have always had really strong feelings about endorsing any political candidate on the stage. ... I care very deeply about our state and our county and our country, as well, but I feel like there are independents, Democrats and Republicans -- everybody -- that like our music. That music means something to all of those people.

I feel like unless you're going to run for office, you really should keep your mouth shut on stage about the political climate. Now, off the stage, off the Alabama stage in our home state, obviously my wife and I do a lot of stuff that helps candidates.

... Yes, I have been asked, and my wife has been asked, several times to run for office in the state of Alabama -- on the national level and the state level. But we feel like we do more good helping candidates. I feel like I've given enough of myself -- through my music and my charities.
I love those country music boys.

No comments: