Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chris Klicka: The passing of a true home school hero

From Anne Miller, President, Home Educators Association of Virginia (HEAV)....

On October 12, 2009, home school father, attorney, author, and speaker Chris Klicka went to be with the Lord. The HEAV board and staff rejoice for him, even as we grieve the passing of our dear friend and brother in the Lord. So many of you have sent sweet notes telling of your prayers for the Klicka family and of the Lord's grace in your own life trials--we will send all these notes on to the Klicka family.

For those who would like to encourage the Klicka family either through notes or donations, we've posted contact information on our blog. You may also appreciate viewing this short tribute to Chris, which HSLDA has put together.

Linda Linder, a faithful and long-time HEAV advisory board member, sent this beautiful song to me this morning. It reminded me of my own mother's passing (N'omi Orr) and of how I sang this song over and over as my husband drove me to see my mother before the emergency response team came to take away her empty shell.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Horatio Spafford wrote this song as he passed near the watery grave of his four daughters who died when their ship sank at sea.

Then, as now, it is a beautiful reminder, inspired by the Lord, that we should not sorrow as those who have no hope. HE is our hope in this life...and the life to come. Chris would want us to remember this--and so we shall.

But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. --1 Thessalonians 4:13

1 comment:

robert said...

Thank you for your comments on Horatio Spafford's wonderful song of testimony, "It Is Well"--though I'm sorry for the sad event related to it. There is a reason the hymn has blessed and encouraged so many over the years, and that is because it is an honest expression of trust in God, in trying circumstances. It has a ring of authenticity that we can sense in our souls.

I've posted quite a few details about the man and his song on my blog, Wordwise Hymns this morning. Perhaps they will be of interest to you and your readers. God bless.