Sunday, April 18, 2010

Teenage Republicans on the rise in Staunton

As I was preparing to leave Starbucks this afternoon, a young lady approached to say hello. I recognized her immediately although I hadn't seen her in a couple of years.

She is now a high school senior but we first met when she was 10 years old during the Bush 2004 reelection campaign. She wanted to work Republican headquarters ... I was the coordinator ... so her mom would bring her by where she would spend time helping with signs, literature, and talking politics with me. Her political dreams included some day becoming Virginia governor. She was effervescent and outgoing and knew her stuff.

Throughout the years we've often crossed paths as she worked headquarters and manned the polls for Republican candidates.

Today we hugged as she greeted me. She is head of the Teenage Republican club at her school and plans to continue in that endeavor. She knows she can call on me anytime if she needs anything. Our young people are the future of the Republican Party as we mentor and work with them.

The current chairman of the Staunton Republican Committee, Alex Davis, was also head of the TAR club while in high school. Youthful leadership continues.

No comments: