Friday, April 09, 2010

This is why I haven't been to Milmont yet ... frost warning for Augusta County

The warm days and 85-degree temperatures have been tempting me to buy outdoor summer plants and get them planted. However, I've lived in the central Shenandoah Valley region for 14 years and have learned to be patient in a region where the frost danger is not past until around May 15.

Sure enough, there is a frost advisory in effect for Augusta, Page, Rockingham, and Shenandoah counties tonight, according to WHSV TV-3. That means tender newly-planted veggies and flowers may be killed by the cold if left outdoors or uncovered.

It's difficult to wait when the warm breezes stir ... but wait, I will, before investing time, energy, and money into beautiful flowers and vegetables that I want to see produce into the summer.

My buying trip to Milmont Nursery will have to wait a bit longer....

1 comment:

Joy Jackson said...

I'm with you. I use my birthday for the day to start putting out the tender things. It's May 14th.