Sunday, November 02, 2008

Amazing Grace

"The inspiring story of how one man's passion and perseverance changed the world. Based on the true story of William Wilberforce, Amazing Grace follows his courageous quest to end the British slave trade.

"Along the way, Wilberforce meets intense opposition from members of Parliament but his minister, John Newton, a reformed slave ship captain who penned the beloved hymn 'Amazing Grace,' urges him to see the cause through."

William Wilberforce, a man of great faith, weathered the winds of change in the political climate of Great Britain and never gave up.

"It is a sad day when a man dies known to others but unknown to himself."
--William Pitt, Prime Minister of England (1783-1801 & 1804-06)

"God sometimes does his work in gentle drizzle ... not storms ... drip, drip, drip."
--John Newton, 1725-1807

Amazing Grace played on the bagpipe is hauntingly beautiful ... the words take on more significance as one grows older. Remember ... the author was a slave ship captain who became a pastor....

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
We have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
And Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Then when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me,
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

No comments: