Thursday, December 25, 2008

"White Christmas"

One of my all-time favorite Christmas movies would have to be "White Christmas," the 1954 musical. The movie opens with a scene in December 1944 during World War II, and continues the story line with two of the Army buddies after the war, now in the entertainment business, who meet sisters and become romantically involved with them.

I love this movie ... and Christmas is not complete until I have seen it each year. So far I have seen it three times this year while wrapping gifts in front of the TV. Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye absolutely made this movie work along with Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen. It is a light-hearted romance comedy that weaves a Christmas/winter theme into it and is set mostly at the fictional Columbia Inn Ski Lodge in Pine Tree, Vermont, during the holidays.

For this snow/Christmas/winter lover, it does not get much better!

Many songs are unforgettable ... "White Christmas," of course ... but also the "Sisters" tune sung by Clooney and Ellen is something my sisters and I have jokingly done for years ... not to mention the spoof of that number by Crosby and Kaye.

"Snow" is the tune sung in four-part harmony on the train as the four travel from Florida to Vermont.

And there is "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep," a simple little Irving Berlin song that hits reality right between the eyes...
When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings

When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings

I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads
And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds

If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings
The basis of the whole story is the two Army buddies (Crosby and Kaye), successful in the music industry, who take their stage show to their WW II General's failing Vermont inn as gratitude to the "old" man...

Crosby's character, looking at the General across the room, observed, "We ate ... and then he ate. We slept ... and then he slept."

To which Kaye's character quipped, "And then he woke up and no one slept for 48 hours!"

The movie is about friendship, gratitude, and love ... and it is one of my "must sees" every year.

2 comments:

AmPowerBlog said...

Actually, I don't think I've seen it, Lynn. But your endorsement's putting it on the top of my list.

Hope you're having a great Christmas.

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

Donald, I love the movies of the 40s and 50s and the movie stars of that era so "White Christmas" is a natural for me. I have watched it my entire life and, before the days of DVDs and cable, it only came on TV once at Christmas so I tried to be sure to catch it at that time.

The Byrd Theater in Richmond sometimes would show it at Christmas and we would attend with friends to watch.

Hope you and your family are enjoying a wonderful Christmas season. Enjoy your New Year!