Sunday, May 03, 2009

Driving home into the sunset ...

When I cross the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains under the Skyline Drive at Afton and begin the descent into the Shenandoah Valley, I know I'm home.

The Valley was overcast as I descended from Afton Mountain on I-64.

Home ... the view of Crawford Mountain. The overcast skies would bring rain during the night.


I drove home Saturday evening toward the sunset, west to the Shenandoah Valley after a long day of meetings in Richmond. I love that drive along I-64 especially at this time of year ... the flowering dogwoods and catawba trees, the multiple shades of green on trees newly leafed out, the ease of traffic on a roadway that is usually not overly crowded. My mind mulled over the day's events as I sipped a Diet Coke ... a phone call or two interrupted my thoughts ... it was a contented drive.

I was remembering the day's meetings and the fact the Republican Convention has over 10,000 delegates signed up which will make it the largest convention since 1994. We will be in the Coliseum and the Marriott, and yesterday afternoon consisted of convention committee meetings as everyone continues to work hard to make this event something special.

Between Richmond and Charlottesville the sky darkened and there was a downpour, raining so hard that the the vehicle in front of me slowed down and put on his emergency flashers. By the time I was past Charlottesville and started up Afton, the rain had stopped but dark clouds lingered. The lights of Afton beckoned like a candle in the window. It was almost sunset ... and I was almost home.

Photos by SWAC Girl
Lynn Mitchell
May 2, 2009

No comments: