Friday, May 08, 2009

The granny who cruises BNN

My mom cruises BNN....

Mother's Day is Sunday and the weather sounds as if it will cooperate with warm temps and maybe just a chance of showers or thunderstorms. My sister and I have been going back and forth through phone calls and emails making plans for Sunday dinner, a day to be spent together as the dads grill and we all enjoy being together.

Mom let us know the flowers arrived on Tuesday and were, in her words, absolutely gorgeous. Peruvian lillies ... sent early so she could enjoy them all week leading up to Mother's Day.

My mom is 80-something and still on the go although she has slowed down a bit the past few years. The career woman of the 1950s, '60s, '70s, and 80s, she was reluctant about finding her way onto a computer. She resisted for a long time but finally got one about seven years ago.

Voila! She became the emailing queen, staying in touch with friends and family all over the country. She also reads newspapers online, keeps up with the political world, and reads Blog Net News/Virginia on a daily basis. I get tickled at her ... she will email to let me know the bloggers who are trash-talking and need to be rated a "1" on the BNN rating scale ... and others who have written a good piece and deserve a "10." She told me she wants to be introduced to my blogging friends at the Republican Convention. My mom ... she's amazing!

So this Mother's Day I'll remember the mom who encouraged me when I entered the work force to learn everything I could about every job because I would be able to use it down the road. And it was good advice ... I have tried to excel at whatever task was put before me. She practices what she preached everytime she sits down in front of that computer screen ... new horizons are always before us.

Meanwhile, Mom is prowling BNN. If you run into her, say hello. She's the granny who was way ahead of the career curve ... and still going strong!

No comments: