Friday, November 21, 2008

Lunch with the girls ...

Met Kathy and Trixie for a girls lunch at Montano's in Roanoke....


After lunch and Maggie Moo ice cream, I shopped at Ukrop's.
Ukrop's in Richmond has been a part of our family since the 1960s. Visiting the one in Salem gave me the opportunity to pick up a few favorites and some weekly specials.

Mill Mountain's star brought back childhood memories. The star (difficult to see but it's at the top of the mountain -- couldn't get a good photo) was illuminated when my family would visit friends in Roanoke. As kids were were taken to the Mill Mountain Zoo. It was a memory I always kept.

Drove down I-81 for lunch with the girls and shopping. It was a cold, overcast wintry-feeling day with a high at mid-day of 32 degrees. It looked and felt like snow but the only snow that day was some that was still on the ground from earlier in the week.

Gasoline was $1.61/gallon at Kroger....

Montano's was a great place to eat with a wide variety of lunch choices and a wonderful atmosphere. They also had a gourmet shop with coffees, desserts, and other goodies for shipping or stocking stuffers....

Maggie Moo's was the choice for dessert as we picked our flavors and watched as the employee mixed and stirred ice cream and add-ins on a frozen marble slab. Yum....

Ukrop's was a familiar sight although it was my first visit to the Salem store. Once inside, I felt as if I was in Richmond with the same layout as the Midlothian store....
Mill Mountain's star brought back wonderful childhood memories of when my family would visit my dad's Navy shipmate's family and spend the weekend. They had two kids and we had three kids and I so looked forward to seeing those friends whenever we visited. I learned to ride a bike in their backyard, and the memories of the Mill Mountain zoo are still there....

The view along the interstate was beautiful, as always, which is what makes the drive along I-81 in the Shenandoah Valley more enjoyable....

It was fun to spend the day in the Roanoke Valley....

Photos by SWAC Girl

No comments: