Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Michael Steele: "I know how Caesar felt"

Politics is synonymous with betrayal and treachery. After last week's RNC chairman election, Michael Steele knows the sting of betrayal. According to FrumForum:
... things get serious real quick when he’s asked about Reince Priebus. Steele had appointed Priebus to a coveted job on the RNC: general counsel. Priebus later turned his back on Steele when he decided to make his own bid for the Chairmanship.

“I know exactly how Caesar felt,” Steele says, without a hint of irony. “It is what it is.” He claims that Priebus had been planning to defect for six, seven, eight months before announcing a bid for the chairmanship.

Steele was blindsided. “I trust my friends. Well, I guess the adage is right. In Washington, you should get a dog… We put a lot of resources in Wisconsin over the last two years… that’s what you do for [the] team.”
That sting of betrayal has certainly been felt by many. One of my favorite Democrats has passed along the saying for years that "if you want loyalty, get a dog." Politics has a way of bringing out the best -- or the worst -- in people.

No comments: