Monday, December 01, 2008

Merry Christmas ... Merry Christmas

Michael's post about Christmas over at Write Side of My Brain caught my attention because the removal of Christmas from the public square disturbs me.

Michael wrote:
Call it what you may. Celebrate in any manner you wish. Wish everyone on the street “Happy Holidays.”

It’s still Christmas.

Granted, if you’re Jewish, Muslim or even Jehovah’s Witness, you’ve got a different religious view. This is America. So far, you’re still entitled to worship freely in the manner of your tradition or your choice.

So am I.

But if you’re hanging the holly, trimming the tree, filling the stockings…it’s Christmas. If lights are adorning your humble, or not so humble abode, they’re Christmas lights.

It’s a Christmas Tree.

It’s a Christmas Parade.
...
Fact of the matter is, however it may offend your sensibilities, Jesus IS the reason for the Season.

And, it’s okay to wish me Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas, Michael!

I am adamant that my Christmas cards actually say "Merry Christmas" on them instead of "Happy Holidays." I want Staunton to have their traditional annual CHRISTMAS parade, not a "holiday" parade as they have renamed it this year. Like Michael, I put up Christmas lights and a Christmas tree and have a Christmas party for my friends.

Jesus is the reason for the season.

Please ... wish me Merry Christmas.

No comments: