Saturday, August 29, 2009

Hot and sultry in Richmond....

I left the Shenandoah Valley early Friday afternoon to temps in the 70s and some spitting rain that became heavier as I began up Afton Mountain on I-64. Heading to Richmond for the RPV Victory Dinner, I heard on the radio as I passed Charlottesville that it was 80 degrees and drippy there but I soon ran out of rain although there were low-hanging clouds all around.

Just as I approached Rt. 288 on the outskirts of Richmond, the skies opened and it literally rained so hard I could barely see at 3:30 in the afternoon. Traffic slowed as the combination of rain and spray from the roadway practically blinded drivers ... wipers were in overdrive ... and as I crossed the James River I strained my eyes to follow the vehicle in front of me.

By the time I reached my parents' home, the rain had stopped but, unbeknownst to me until I stepped out of my air conditioned vehicle in their driveway, it was a sultry, wet-blanket-hit-you-in-the-face 87 degrees in Chesterfield, something I was all too familiar with growing up here.

Summer heat and humidity ... ahh, I must be in Richmond.

Saturday was almost 90 degrees and still hot as Mom and I were out and about in Midlothian. Sunday's forecast is for another 90-degree day, and then a cold front moves through and breaks the heat. The forecast of 70 degrees as a high in Richmond on Monday will be a pleasant surprise but by then I'll be back in the Valley.

If they're calling for 70 degrees in Richmond on Monday, are we expecting 60s in the Valley?

I hope so.

No comments: