Sunday, January 06, 2013

Thankful

Today would have been my dad's birthday. Though he was only 51 years old when he passed away, I'm thankful to have had him for the first 22 years of my life. I wonder how it would have been if he had stayed with us longer but life is too short to think about what-ifs.

A high school classmate recently lost his wife. Christmas was without her and, yet, he wrote a thank-you to her for sharing her life with them. Life is too short to be bitter.

We lost one of our high school classmates this past year. Friends have lost parents. My mom was very ill last Christmas ... this year we spent it together at my house. I'm thankful for another year together as a family. Life is too short to not appreciate the here and now.

Life is too short to not look for the joy that is out there, to cultivate new friends, to appreciate and cherish the old, and to wrap our arms around those we care about and pull family just a little closer. It's the simple things that make life special.

On my dad's birthday -- thinking of him and remembering -- it's time to pause and be thankful for this moral Christian man who helped mold my life and left us far too soon....

No comments: