There is no denying it anymore—even the mainstream media is reporting the incredible progress in Iraq, and giving credit where credit is due: General Petraeus's new counter-insurgency plan and the local political progress it has enabled.
On November 18, the Washington Post editorialized that "By every metric used to measure the war…there has been an enormous improvement since January."To Vets for Freedom members, these facts come as no surprise. But, apparently, the leadership in Congress still doesn't get it. Despite overwhelming progress in Iraq, Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Majority Leader Harry Reid continue to play politics with the troops…and their wartime funding.
In this week's edition of Newsweek reporter Rod Nordland writes upon his return to Iraq that, "I can actually say that things do seem to have gotten better, and in ways that may even be durable… There hasn't been a successful suicide car bombing in Baghdad in five weeks… Al Qaeda in Iraq is starting to look like a spent force, especially in Baghdad."
And the New York Times actually reported that, "Casualties suffered by Iraqi security forces…were down 40 percent since the beginning of the troop reinforcement plan. Civilian fatalities in Baghdad…were down 75 percent in recent months. In some areas, the attacks have not been so low since the spring and summer of 2005."
General Petraeus's new strategy is working and our troops are routing Al Qaeda and making incredible progress in Iraq. Our troops, along with our Iraqi allies, are certainly doing their part—so why won't Congress act?
WILL YOU WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR?
This week, we urgently need all Vets for Freedom members to write a short Letter to the Editor in their local newspaper, talking about the progress in Iraq and encouraging their member of Congress to fund the troops—without timelines or deadlines for defeat.
In order to make this easy, Vets for Freedom has invested in new technology to make writing to your local newspaper easier than ever! Just follow these 3 easy steps, and you're done:
1. Go to the Vets for Freedom homepage and click on the "Contact the Media" button on the right. It's the button with the rotating newspapers.It's that easy! We have also provided suggested bullet points in the "Letters to the Editor" section that you can use to craft your letter. We have included the most important three points below:
2. Enter your Zip Code and click on the local newspaper (or newspapers) of your choice.
3. Compose a letter (200 words or less) and send it to your paper through our site.
1. As a direct result of the new counter-insurgency strategy implemented by General David Petraeus, real and sustainable progress is being made in Iraq.For even more material, visit the Vets for Freedom website to see our "Progress in Iraq" section and get the latest facts about both military and political progress in Iraq.
2. General Petraeus, and all 160,000 troops in Iraq, deserve immediate funding-without timelines—in order to continue defeating Al Qaeda and Iranian-backed militias.
3. Without money from Congress, our troops will not have the ability to complete the mission and leave behind a stable Iraq, especially in a timely manner.
We are winning the war in Iraq – and the American people need to hear about it. Do your part to ensure that they read about it in the paper this week. It's the least you can do, and it does make a difference.
Move out and draw fire!
Vets for Freedom