Monday, September 04, 2006

The Crocodile Hunter is dead.... 1962-2006

"Crickey!"

How many times over the years did I hear that expression from Steve Irwin, the "crocodile hunter," who has been killed by a stingray in Australia?

How many times did I jump in my chair as yet another deadly snake lunged at him as he held it by its tail?

Just this past weekend I had watched as he chased down some deadly snake in a rice paddy in some remote corner of the world ... and then pushed back into my chair as he cornered a Cobra that struck at him, missing by inches....

"He's going to get bitten one of these days!" I declared.

Ironic that it wasn't a snake that did him in ... or even one of the crocs or alligators he wrestled with in the wild ... but rather a stingray. Who have you ever heard of who was killed by a stingray?

Apparently the poisonous barb on its tail whipped into his chest, piercing his heart, killing him almost instantly.

Steve Irwin was only 44 years old. He was married to Terri, an American, and had two children, Bindi, age 8, and Bob, age 3.

He had a passion for life, a boyish joyfulness that exuded from him in everything he did. His zest for life was a breath of fresh air. And, yet, he put himself right in there with those deadly creatures, sometimes, in my opinion, way closer than necessary.

But I have to admire someone who lived his life exactly as he wanted. That means he died as he wanted ... doing what he wanted. Not many of us can say that.

Steve Irwin ... the Crocodile Hunter ... we will miss you. Crickey - we will!

No comments: