Friday, January 06, 2012

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone

Sunset in Shenandoah National Park.

Today is January 6 ... my dad's birthday. We lost him many years ago but he is still very much in our memories. He was a mentor to young people, and a long-time Sunday school teacher and deacon at Bon Air Baptist Church where I grew up. We used to kid him that if the church doors were open, he was there.

Dad was an avid outdoorsman who loved to camp, hunt, and fish. He taught us to conserve the world around us ... do not disturb nature but be a quiet observer. "Take only pictures, leave only footprints." He was a baseball player on his company league ... he loved his three daughters ... he loved the mountains of Virginia and the beaches of the Outer Banks.

Slow to anger but a disciplinarian with a thundering velvet hand whenever we deserved it, he had served his country in World War II on the USS Wisconsin, joining the Navy as a teenager. He went to work early to help his family in rural Amelia County because, as the oldest of five children, he was needed to help provide for them. He taught fiscal responsibility and conservative values that live with me to this day.

Whenever I hear this Diamond Rio song, it always makes me think of him and wish for one more day sitting around the campfire in Shenandoah National Park, one of his favorite places on earth. Good memories....

Photo by Lynn R. Mitchell

One More Day
Diamond Rio

Last night I had a crazy dream
A wish was granted just for me
It could be for anything
I didn't ask for money
Or a mansion in Malibu
I simply wished, for one more day with you

One more day
One more time
One more sunset, maybe I'd be satisfied
But then again
I know what it would do
Leave me wishing still, for one more day with you

First thing I'd do, is pray for time to crawl
Then I'd unplug the telephone
And keep the TV off
I'd hold you every second
Say a million I love you's
That's what I'd do, with one more day with you

No comments: