Friday, September 21, 2007

Backroads of the Shenandoah Valley ... Pastures District

At last week's Win the War rally in Staunton, a gentleman approached me about a Win the War sign. Turned out he lives several miles from me so I drove by today to get a photo of the sign which is posted in the middle of God's Country.

Took a drive today through Pastures District in western Augusta County. The sun was shining, it was mid-70s, and the backroads were calling me. I usually have my camera with me when out driving so was able to take some photos of the gorgeous place I call home.

The green of the fields against the clouds that were moving in over the mountains intrigued me....

The clouds were so unusual in the blue sky with the green pastures....
This maple tree with scarlet leaves in the middle of the field caught my eye because it had fully changed colors and had even begun to lose leaves.
I never met a backroad I didn't want to explore....

Leaves on the locust trees (right) are turning....
Beautiful homestead of the gentleman whose Win the War sign is in the first photo....
What is it about fence rows? I love the flowers that grow along there and this one has the beautiful Alleghany Range behind it.
The road less traveled....
Goldenrod wild flowers

I finally got a photo of a butterfly after trying for a week. This butterfly bush was loaded with the orange monarchs stopping on their migration south....

Home Sweet Home with my very own Win the War sign.

One reason I like living in the western part of the county is the wildlife we see on a regular basis. Today a fox ran up the fence line beside me ... a flock of Canada geese flew directly over our heads while I was standing talking with BOS candidate Travis Smithdeal (and I ducked, afraid they would unload on us). Beside the road were four wild turkeys but I didn't dare try to get a photo knowing they would take off ... the deer are always here ... the squirrels are really busy and they have extra-bushy tails this fall. Haven't seen a bear yet but there were indications of them in the woods behind the house.

This time of year in the Valley is beautiful ... but, then I think it's beautiful in all seasons. I'll be back on the road soon checking more out-of-the-way places with my camera ... and again giving thanks for living in such a place as this. I love the Valley....

No comments: