Friday, February 29, 2008

Roaming the Valley....

Out and about this week....

I like my dentist. I've been going to her for years and stopped by earlier this week for an appointment ... the chair faces a floor-to-ceiling window that overlooks the outdoors with flowers and blooming shrubs in the spring and summer, and a wild area during the winter. You can watch birds, squirrels, and other city critters ... for me that is much more soothing than looking out over another building or parking lot or even just looking at bare walls. And she hums while she's working on my teeth ... and she's conservative and former military....

The Cheese Shop in Stuarts Draft is celebrating their annual "Customer Appreciation Week" with samples of in-store products and 10% off your purchase. Drawings are held offering gift certificates ... I won a $50 gift certificate last year. I stopped by this week to pick up pecans, raisins, and a few other products. Their inventory is much fresher for spices and nuts than those in the grocery stores ... and the prices are better. I buy most all my baking goods from the Mennonite-owned Cheese Shop....

We're into late winter now. I still like the winter woods ... bare trees, the ground and rock-croppings visible beneath. I need to head to the ridges but haven't had time this week. Soon....

We have seen snow flurries almost every day the past week with cold temps and icicle-edged winds ... the mountaintops are snow-covered. I enjoy winter. The woodstove has been going non-stop and we have eaten deeply into our wood supply. We've only had one substantial snowfall and a couple of icings ... the temps have remained low and the winds have been especially brutal this winter....

The March magazines are arriving with photos of flowers on the covers but I'm not ready for spring quite yet. I'm not yet ready to think of flowers and seeds. I would like one more good snow before we say goodbye to winter....

It's winter in the Valley....

No comments: