Monday, July 09, 2007

Georgetown, Colorado....

The mining town of Georgetown, Colorado -- nicknamed "Silver Queen of the Rockies" -- was begun in 1859 along the banks of Clear Creek near the shore of Silver Dollar Lake. I first visited Georgetown in 1982 and was charmed by its rugged beauty. Four years later John Denver used that location to film the heart-warming movie, "The Christmas Gift," and each year a tribute to him is included in the annual tree lighting ceremony.

Silver Dollar Lake ... good fishin'!

Georgetown Post Office

Listed on the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Georgetown features many Victorian-era houses such as this one.

Another example of Victorian style from Georgetown.

The new Georgetown Visitors Center that opened in 2004.

Photos by SWAC Girl

2 comments:

Staff said...

I love this place. I went to law school on the West Coast and when I drove back and forth I would try and take Interstate 70 if I had the time. Georgetown was one of my favorite places to stop. I was lucky enough to be there one day in May 1996 when it snowed. Incredibly beautiful place.

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

That's one thing we can agree on.

Were you aware that Silver Plume (Georgetown's neighbor) has two peaks behind it named "Republican Mountain" and "Democrat Mountain"? I found that interesting and wish I had known it while at the Silver Plume Museum so I could have asked the gentleman manning the desk.