Tuesday, May 22, 2007

In memory of Lady Olivia....

Lady Olivia and Katy Rose
May 5, 2007
This is in memory of Olivia who died Sunday night or, as her owner put it, "crossed over the rainbow bridge."

Olivia was Trixie Averill's dog ... but somehow calling her a "dog" seems insensitive ... because to Trixie she was so much more.

She was Trixie's companion ... her friend ... her travel buddy ... her GOP champion when she was campaigning, riding with her from one end of the Sixth District to the other.

Anyone who knew Trixie knew how much she loved Olivia. She once called my house before leaving Roanoke to ask about a babysitter for "Olivia" -- this was before I knew Trixie very well. I thought she was referring to a child! She explained and said Olivia would be no trouble so I agreed (with some inner hesitation) that she could stay at my house with my daughter while we went to our meeting.

Anyone who knows me knows I like animals ... but they're animals. To agree to have this dog come stay in my house was a big thing. But she was a perfect lady and was never a bother whenever she came to visit. She had that kind of demeanor.

Last summer Trixie's family gave her another Westie, Katy Rose, for her birthday -- a new little squirt of a dog. Just what she needed, I told her -- it would be like having a toddler in the house all over again. But Katy Rose became acquainted with Olivia and they bonded ... sisters, so to speak ... and quite frankly I'm glad Trixie has Katy Rose at this time.

This one's for you, Trixie. I'm sorry for your loss. I know you're hurting and will miss Olivia ... we'll miss her, too.

No comments: