Saturday, July 28, 2012

Rocking on the porch in the sweet Virginia breeze



Ahh. Sitting on the porch rocking in the sweet Virginia breeze and taking in the good smells of earth and growing things. The high humidity of earlier today has gone ... there's a coolness in the air as the sun sets behind the western mountains, leaving behind cotton candy colors in the sky.

Last night my sister and I sat on the porch talking with a friend as we all rocked and enjoyed the evening while dusk fell, and we discussed the direction and future of education and schools. Both my sister and my friend are educators. I find it interesting that whenever I'm in the midst of teachers, the stories about teaching in today's schools are startling and, for the most part, not something the general public is aware of.

It was hot today but this evening we fired up the grill for dinner with family ... steaks, crab legs, and an assortment of peppers from the garden were cooked outdoors while other garden goodies were prepared inside. Yukon Gold potatoes from the garden cooked with Vidalia onions along with garlic broccoli, freshly sliced tomatoes, cukes-and-onions in vinegar, and Naan with melted mozzarella cheese were on the table along with fresh strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon ... yum. A summertime feast if ever there was one!

So now as dusk falls and the cool breeze blows, I'm sitting in the rocker with my feet propped up on the railing, laptop balanced on my knees, and enjoying a quiet Saturday night. Family, food, fellowship ... it doesn't get much better than that.

Photo by Lynn R. Mitchell

No comments: